Monday, October 23, 2006

The Clutches Part II

My second try at felting. I decided to throw in these, one pair of shoes for one bag. I used about twice as much boiling hot water, and much, much more detergent this time. I set it on the lowest setting, and put in about 6 or 7 liters of boiling hot water. It was a little scary pouring it into the machine. The machine still continued to add some hot water, only it's not really that hot. It's only as warm as the hot water in the bath, probably less than 40 C. When the machine was done adding water, it was still hot enough that I could only touch it for a second. The water got very sudsy, and brown.

After 2 cycles of washing, voila!
They are felted!!! I am very happy with how they look. Thanks to Jan for the advice in her comments! Not only are they felted now, they are also a lot more smaller.
I didn't expect them to shrink that much in a second washing. I guess that means the first time really did nothing to it.
You can see how fuzzy and felted they are here.

The green one is still a little big larger than the pink one. The green one shrank from about 18cm tall to 15cm, the pink one from about 17cm to 16cm. The width also shrank about 2cm for both.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow !!! cool!!!!

I hope I`m knitting my cowboy hat big enough so that when it shrinks, I can wear it. If it gets too small then I guess one of my kids can wear it.

keep on knitting!!!!!!

Jan in Nagasaki

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! they look really nice. although they looked pretty nice unfelted as well. They look like Herve Chapelier totes. kawaii.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Orlop =) said...

GORGEOUS. I love the color at the top.

2:30 AM  
Blogger Bashirs Momma said...

I love your clutches!

Found you on the Mason Dixon KAL... Oh, what a wonderful blog you have!!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home