Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Reaching out of my comfort zone

After reading the Harlot's books, and seeing and reading so much on other knitter's blogs, I decided I want to give sock knitting a try. I've knit a couple of hats, so dpns don't scare me, and I like knitting in the round. But scary terms like "gusset" and "turning the heel" made me shy. First, I searched for some books on amazon. There are several knitting books about socks, and I read all of the reviews on both amazon.com and amazon.co.jp, and chose one book. What amazed me is that there are NONE, absolutely no sock knitting books in the Japanese language. So, after watching videos on knittinghelp.com, and reading the Socks 101 tutorial on knitty.com, and seeing my knitting buddy S's beautiful socks, I decided to give it a try. This is my Class Sock from Sensational Knitted Socks.

I get it now. There are some parts that are a little uneven, and I haven't washed it yet. But I knit a sock! Needless to say, I am VERY proud of this one sock. I like how there are so many techniques and patterns to knit, but how it's small enough to finish relatively quickly. I was thinking of knitting a pair and giving it to Mia, but I changed my mind. I am not making the second sock, and I want to keep this one just because it is my FIRST . Mia will not be walking for at least 11 months; she can wait with the big blankie while I knit a couple of socks, non?

It has been a little over a week since I added the Neo Counter thing in my sidebar that shows what country my blog readers are from. Right now, it says I have had 124 visitors from 13 countries. I have no idea how this works, but it is SO cool to see so many different flags, and to see the numbers change everytime I look! I think it must be counting everytime I visit myself, since I cannot believe I really had this many visitors. Thanks so much for dropping by! I would love it if you left a short comment!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

That looks pretty good for your first sock! I know I was terrified to knit socks - now I can't seem to quit!!!

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not yet been bit by the sock bug. when it does I will contact you and you can give me support over the wires.

I am working feverishly this season on warshrags and hats and little stockings to hang on trees.

Nice sock.!!!!!!!!

Jan in Nagasaki.

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home